The Peninsula Health Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) is constituted according to the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007). It meets monthly on 10 occasions each year to review and monitor research projects to ensure they conform to the requirements of the National Statement. It receives advice from the Drugs and Therapeutics Committee and Scientific Review Subcommittee in regard to the scientific merit and validity of research proposals.
For more information on applying for ethics approval click here.
The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) requires that as far as possible a Human Research Ethics Committee consists of equal numbers of men and women and at least one third of the members are from outside Peninsula Health.
As a minimum, prescribed membership is eight, consisting of the following:
- A chairperson
- At least two lay people, one man and one woman, who are not affiliated with Peninsula Health and do not currently engage in medical, scientific, legal or academic work
- At least one person with knowledge of, and current experience in, the professional care, counselling or treatment of people
- At least one person who performs a pastoral care role in a community
- At least one lawyer, where possible one who is not engaged to advise Peninsula Health
- At least two people with current research experience that is relevant to research proposals to be considered at the meetings they attend.
On occasion input may be sought from experts in particular fields not represented on the Committee.
The Peninsula Health HREC meets the membership requirement of the NHMRC and its members at 1 January 2019 are:
- Associate Professor Virginia Plummer (Chair)
- Dr Vikas Wadhwa (Executive Sponsor)
- Mr Iouri Banakh
- Dr Rosamond Dwyer
- Ms Alice Lam
- Ms Meghan O’Brien
- Mr Seng-Yew Ong
- Associate Professor Warren Rozen
- Professor Ravi Tiruvoipati
- Dr Vicky Tobin
- Mr Michael Wang
- Ms Alexis Ward
- Dr Ashley Webb
- Dr Zee Wan Wong
- Ms Joanna Green
- Dr Dilinie Herbert
- Ms Ann Urch
- Mr Richard Ivice
- Dr Tom Jeavons
- Dr Ian Munro
Meeting and Submission Dates
Click here to access the Peninsula Health Human Research Ethics Committee 2020 meeting dates and submission deadlines.
The Human Research Ethics Committee charges a fee for consideration of some research projects. A Research Governance fee applies to all multi-site clinical trials reviewed under the Streamlined Ethical Review Process, that are submitted to Peninsula Health.
Researchers must ensure they refer to the Ethics/Governance Payment Form prior to submitting an application to the HREC.
All correspondence and enquiries for the Human Research Ethics Committee should be forwarded to the Office for Research.
The Human Research Ethics Committee has delegated approval of quality assurance projects and audits, to the Executive Sponsor Research.
For more information on projects eligible for approval via this pathway click here.
Enquiries regarding this process should be forwarded to the Office for Research.
From time to time vacancies arise on the Human Research Ethics Committee. Enquiries regarding membership should be directed to the Manager Office for Research.
There are currently no positions vacant.